The GlenAllachie Distillery in Scotland recently launched Batch 4 of its cask strength 10-year-old single malt and the third installment of single cask bottlings. Batch 4 comes in a limited release of 2,600 cases worldwide at a suggested retail price of around £59 (about $80 USD) and is bottled at 56.1%.
The third installment of single casks, meanwhile, has six cask strength single malts selected by Master Distiller Billy Walker.
The single casks include a 31-year-old Oloroso hogshead, a 15-year-old Virgin Oak, a 13-year-old First Fill Bourbon Barrel, a 12-year-old Rioja Barrel and an 11-year-old Sauternes Barrel — all at cask strength and non-chill filtered.
“There’s something magical about bottling whisky straight from the cask – without any water or colouring being added, this is whisky in its purest form,” Walker said in a prepared statement. “Batch 3 of our cask strength 10-year-old has set the bar high, but we’re excited to share this new bottling which has a perfect balance of fruit, dark chocolate and spice with the underlying classic sweet honey notes of the GlenAllachie.”
Walker said these single casks show how the different types of wood create new flavors in each product. The 31-year-old is said to have, for example, dark chocolate, orange zest, grapefruit and ginger flavors from the wood and slightly smaller Oloroso hogshead.
GlenAllachie’s Virgin Oak series also shows a limited edition range of Speyside single malt whiskies that go through a second maturation in specialty casks of different oak species. That release came out in early Oct. with three limited-edition whiskies: the 12-year-old French Virgin Oak Finish, the 12-year-old Spanish Virgin Oak Finish, and the 12-year-old Chinquapin Virgin Oak Finish.
You’ll find more official details on each below.
GlenAllachie 10-year-old Cask Strength Batch 4 – 56.1%; around £59 (about $80 USD)
- Colour: Rich Mahogany.
- Nose: Dark chocolate, vanilla pods and treacle, with rich notes of orange peel and cinnamon.
- Taste: Lashings of raisins, treacle, dark chocolate, layers of heather honey, cinnamon and orange peel.
GlenAllachie 31-year-old Oloroso Hogshead cask # 6118 – 51.1%; around £530 (about $710 USD)
- Colour: Rich Mahogany.
- Nose: Heather honey, mocha, nutmeg, pineapple and eucalyptus.
- Taste: Waves of dark chocolate, mocha and almonds, followed by orange zest, grapefruit and ginger.
GlenAllachie 15 year-old Virgin Oak cask # 5182 – 57.6%; around £106 (about $145 USD)
- Colour: Sunset Bronze.
- Nose: Lashings of heather honey, vanilla pods and plantains, with notes of orange zest and ginger.
- Taste: Layers of heather honey, butterscotch and almonds with dark chocolate, orange zest and ginger.
GlenAllachie 13-year-old First Fill Bourbon Barrel # 111860 – 58.6%; around £96 (about $130 USD)
- Colour: Sunrise Gold.
- Nose: Orchard fruit, peaches, butterscotch and ginger.
- Taste: Brimming with heather honey, butterscotch and figs, with notes of ginger and grapefruit.
GlenAllachie 12-year-old Ruby Port Pipe # 1867 – 52.3%; around £90 (about $120 USD)
- Colour: Rich Ruby.
- Nose: Lashings of honey, treacle and grape must, with sweet spice and hints of dark chocolate.
- Taste: Waves of heather honey, vanilla and treacle, fused with cinnamon, rosehips and mocha.
GlenAllachie 12-year-old Rioja Barrel # 3966 – 56.6%; around £90 (about $120 USD)
- Colour: Golden Bronze.
- Nose: Waves of red berries, grape must, almonds and orange zest.
- Taste: Rich heather honey, sultanas and apricots, with barley sugar, orange zest, grapefruit and a hint of aniseed.
GlenAllachie 11-year-old Sauternes Barrel # 3728 – 59.0%; around £86 (about $115 USD)
- Colour: Straw Gold.
- Nose: Heather honey, peaches, apricots and notes of ginger.
- Taste: Brimming with heather honey, peaches and apricots, fused with hazelnuts and grapefruit.