In 1868 Brown’s son William inherited the distillery and in 1872 completely demolished and rebuilt the site to be larger and more modern. The refurbishments took the distillery’s capacity to 50,000 gallons per year, a huge increase. The distillery continued to successfully operate through the whisky crash in the late 1800s which affected many others in the Speyside area, and it only shut for a brief period during World War II.
The distillery is still active and is now owned by Diageo. The main focus for the distillery is to produce malt for Diageo’s numerous blended whiskies as Linkwood is highly prized for its floral, delicate aroma that maintains a rich palate.