The distillery nearly didn’t get off of the ground – a financial crisis in the summer of 1878 meant they could no longer secure the financing for their dream. However, the reverend of the local United Presbyterian Church in the nearby village of Archiestown came to their rescue, helping the group raise enough funds to finish building the distillery and securing a new source of income for locals.
The distiller is still active and is now owned by The Edrington Group. The current capacity is around 5 million litres of spirit per annum on its five spirit and five wash stills.
The whisky has numerous releases of single malt bottled under the flagship brand name but for much of its existence was the heart malt in the Cutty Sark blended whisky and The Famous Grouse.