The Ledaig distillery is located in the town of Tobermory which is on the Hebridean island of Mull and is classed as a Highlands region distillery. It has been operating since 1798 when the founder John Sinclair began producing.
About Ledaig Distillery
The distillery is now commonly known as Tobermory and is still active under owners, Distell. The current capacity is 1,000,000 litres and its’ water source is from the Gearr Abhainn.
Tobermory became licensed in 1823. Over its history Tobermory has undergone several closures. It closed in 1930 which coincided with a drop in demand due to prohibition in America. Reopened in 1972, it had to close yet again in 1975 due to a lack of storage space for the whisky being produced, quite the opposite reason to its previously mentioned closure. The Tobermory single malt is used in the blends Black Bottle and Scottish Leader however, smaller batches of peated whisky is still produced under the name Ledaig.
Ledaig Distillery Details
Scotland, United Kingdom
Number of Stills
4 wash, 4 spirit