The Glenrothes distillery is located next to the Burn of Rothes in the Speyside region of Scotland. It was built by James Stuart & Co in 1878.
About Glenrothes Distillery
The distillery is still active and is now owned by The Edrington Group. The current capacity is 5,550,000 litres and its’ water source is from the Rothes Burn.
The Glenrothes whisky is used in popular blends such as The Famous Grouse and Cutty Sark. The distillery has faced a few fires and explosions over the years which has caused considerable damage. In 1962 another fire allowed for further refurbishment and expansion, with yet another expansion occurring in 1982 when the still hall increased to 5 wash still and 5 spirit stills.
Glenrothes Distillery Details
Scotland, United Kingdom
The Edrington Group
Number of Stills
5 wash, 5 spirit