Glen Moray Distillery
The Glen Moray distillery is located on the banks of the River Lossie in Elgin, in the Speyside region of Scotland. It was founded by Robert Thorne & Sons in 1897.
About Glen Moray Distillery
The distillery is still active and is now owned by La Martiniquaise. The current capacity is 3,300,000 litres and its’ water source is from the River Lossie.
Glen Moray was initially known as West Brewery but it was converted to a distillery in 1897 during the whisky boom. Robert Thorne & Sons also owned the Aberlour distillery. Aberlour had to be rebuilt due to fire damage and after this the company focused solely on its production. Glen Moray therefore became run down and closed in 1910. The Glenmorangie owners took over the distillery in the 1920’s. Several expansions have taken place over the last century, with the most recent predicted to increase the annual capacity to 5,500,000.
Glen Moray Distillery Details
Scotland, United Kingdom
Number of Stills
3 wash, 3 spirit