Glen Elgin Distillery
The Glen Elgin distillery is located on the road to Rothes approximately 3 miles south of Elgin which is in the Speyside region of Scotland. It was founded in 1898 by William Simpson and James Carle.
About Glen Elgin Distillery
The distillery is still active and is now owned by Diageo. The current capacity is 1,830,000 litres and its’ water source is from the Millbuies Loch Springs.
Glen Elgin was the last distillery built in Speyside during the whisky boom of the 1890’s. The next distillery to open on Speyside was Tormore in 1958. Initially the Glen Elgin distilleries location was chosen due to the water source and the nearby railway. Unfortunately the water supply proved unreliable and permission to have the train stop at the distillery was refused, but they still remained successful. Up until the 1950’s the distillery was solely powered and lit by paraffin. The machinery received its power via a water turbine attached to a paraffin engine.
Glen Elgin Distillery Details
Scotland, United Kingdom
Number of Stills
3 wash, 3 spirit